Christmas in JulyOn Jul 13, 2015 Blog | Preparedness 5 Comments Tags: Christmas, Preparedness, What We Like
[This post contains affiliate links. Shopping through affiliate links will not cost you a penny more, but we may make a little commission. And that keeps this blog running for the two families who love to write it. Thank you.]
At the time I am writing this we are 165 days, 1 hour, 44 minutes and 32 seconds from Christmas.
**Cue some classic Hitchcock movie music**
We love being prepared. We love not panicking. We love setting our standards a little lower and enjoying our sanity. Don’t forget our Christmas motto:
With that being said, there are some great deals to be had for those willing to shop and plan early! In fact, for Amazon Prime subscribers, there are some super deals July 15, Prime Day! And one great thing about planning and shopping early is that you can avoid the Christmas-kitsch. (You KNOW what I am talking about, because someone is buying those tubs of three-flavored popcorn.)
Here are a few of our favorite things, that we think your loved ones will like, too:
FOR THE BOOKWORM
- Hannah Coulter, Jayber Crow or pretty much anything by Wendell Berry. His poetry is also lovely! He combines our love of food, farming, environmental stewardship and skillful storytelling. You will be in love, we assure you.
- From Saint Hildegard’s Kitchen, Foods of Health, Foods of Joy, What a treasure this book is! From recipes for delicious kitchen treats, to traditional remedies you can make from your own garden and kitchen, to beautiful quotes from the writings of this powerhouse saint!
- Drinking with the Saints: The Sinner’s Guide to a Holy Happy Hour, Delicious cocktail recipes combined with a little spirituality and good humor. So much delicious fun! (In case the jury is still out for you, we suggest you start here: Shall We Drink To That? Answering the Question: Should Christians Drink?)
- Don’t forget all the books on our MUST READ LIST for your children!
FOR YOUR DOMESTIC CHURCH
- Through The Year With Fulton Sheen, We’ve been enjoying each day’s reading as a family at the breakfast table. Just about every morning we say, “Wow. That was so good!” And it has led to some beautiful discussions and prayer times as a family.
- The Blessing, Daja’s dad read this book when she was a still a young child. And it led to a nightly blessing that he spoke over all his kids. A beautiful tradition that still lives on. This book is powerful in it’s simplicity. Your family will love it!
- A Book of Saints For Catholic Moms, Kristina’s daughters bought this for her last year as a Christmas gift. Truly a gift that keeps on giving! Being daily inspired by the lives of the saints is an experience that is truly transformative.
FOR YOUR FAMILY CHEF or LINE COOK (Whichever the case may be!)
- Instant Pot, Seriously, we are addicted. I never thought I would love an appliance so much. We use it every single day without fail! It’s a slow-cooker, it’s pressure cooker, it’s a sauté pan, it’s a yogurt maker, it’s a rice cooker. I’m pretty sure if we only knew the right combo it could probably braid our hair and match our socks. Everything we put in this thing turns out beautifully. Well worth the investment!
- VitaMix, Yes, we are VitaMix people. We can’t help ourselves. It’s the other appliance that gets used every day.
- Pork Dust, most brilliant food product we’ve tried all year. It’s basically just ground chicharrones (fried pork skins). The uses are many! Use to coat fish or chicken instead of bread crumbs, sprinkle over salads, use in the place of bread crumbs or other grain in your meatloaf and meatballs. The flavor is out-of-this-world!
- Real Cinnamon, What’s Christmas without cinnamon?! And we only use the real stuff–Ceylon cinnamon! (Did you realize that most of the stuff on the grocery store shelves is fake cinnamon–the bark of the cassia tree?)
FOR THE HEALTH NUT (or the one with the New Year’s Resolution to get healthy)
For more of our favorite things, check out our Amazon e-store! Every time we love something we link to it there. We only recommend what we personally use and love!
(At the time we finished compiling this list we are 165 days, 36 minutes, and 25 seconds until Christmas. Still. Don’t panic.)